Wednesday, May 4, 2016

an early finish

I finished quilting and binding my Zigzag quilt.  It is ready to deliver to the 2016 outdoor quilt show.  Usually I am snapping quick pictures the morning I take it in so to be done 2 weeks ahead of time surprises and delights me :0)
 The pattern is from a quiltalong that Lori hosted on her blog Humble Quilts in 2012.  She called hers Mountain Trails.
I still wanted to use more of the red and white polka dot fabric so I used it for binding. 

 I free motion quilted feathers all over this quilt - it went SO FAST!  I got the idea for this after reading this post by Barb on her blog Fun with Barb.  She quilted a very large quilt on her home machine with a cable design across the width.  I got thinking about what kind of design I could use that could go in rows across a quilt. 
My quilt is much smaller than the one she quilted but the across the width idea worked out very well. 
 
I took this shot of it on the back of the couch in the sunshine -I thought the texture of it was cool.  The thread I used practically disappears into the scrappy top so it doesn't overpower the piecing.   I will look through my ufo bin to see if there are any other projects I could quilt this way.  I could not believe how fast it went.
So I'm going to try something else that's new to me.  I have an appointment next Thursday to learn how to long arm baste for handquilting.  I'm taking my Bird of Paradise quilt - so excited! 

Happy Quilting!

10 comments:

Every Stitch said...

Congratulations on a lovely finish Janet - beautiful polka dot binding too! Looks like you are learning a lot there - with the feathers cable quilting and now long arm basting. Won't it be great to start the hand quilting of your Bird of Paradise quilt?!

Frog Quilter said...

Loving your finish!! Great colors and quiltin.

Nancy said...

Great finish Janet, The quilting is just perfect for this one.

Kyle said...

What a fantastic finish! You used so many different fabrics that blended so well together and then topped it off with great machine quilting. You pushed yourself and finished well before the deadline. It will look wonderful hanging at the show.

Lori said...

I love it and the quilting is perfect for it!!
That red really makes it special!

Taryn said...

I love that red polka dot fabric you used. It really makes the quilt come alive. Great work!

Barb said...

The feathers look fabulous on your quilt! I never know how to quilt a LC. The red binding is the perfect last touch too. Great photo of the wonderful texture.
Squeal!!! I can't wait to watch your start on the BOP quilt. Let us know how the LA basting goes.

congrats on your lovely finish Janet!

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! I love the way you quilted the feathers across the entire width. Just beautiful!

Jan said...

What a wonderful quilt! I have read Barb's post and now that you've given her method a thumbs up, I think I'll have to revisit it. And of course, I love that red dotted binding!

Phyllis said...

Such a great finish, love all those fabrics and the red, wonderful! Looking forward to reading about your experience with long arm basting.