Monday, May 1, 2017

a May basket and starting something new

I have been enjoying some other blogger's posts of May baskets and it got me thinking about this appliqued basket block that I've never done anything with.  Finished in Sept 2009 - I think it needs some attention but I really don't know what to do with it.  
 I have started another new project.  My son is next in line for a new bed quilt.  I was chatting with him a couple of weeks ago and he reminded me that I should make him one.  He's turning 13 soon and I figure if he actually brought it up he probably really wants one. 
 I already knew he wanted green and blue for the color palate.  I dug through my tremendous pile of magazines and gave him 5 or 6 options for the pattern.   He chose this Betsy Chutchian pattern called Just Toasty in the Oct 2016 AP&Q magazine. 
It will need a different name because there is nothing toasty about this  :0)  The blocks are big with few pieces so this should go quickly??  (I hope)  I will need to make a lot of blocks for this quilt needs to be a really long one to stay tucked in on his extra long bed. 

Happy May Day! and Happy Quilting!

6 comments:

Every Stitch said...

Great start to your son's quilt - the colours and fabrics! He's going to treasure it because he had a hand in the design...and of course because you made it! What a sweet applique basket - could be a lovely centre to a medallion??

Karen said...

I have a fondness for basket quilt patterns. This is no exception.

audrey said...

I do love the basket patterns. Been having thoughts about starting another one or two myself! lol Wonderful start on your sons quilt! Great colors.:)

Kyle said...

The appliqued basket is awesome. I'm sure you'll come up with a design to use it in. Hope so. It's too lovely to set in a box all alone. Your son's quilt looks perfect. It will be fun to work on a block that's bigger and faster. :0)

Barb said...

Happy May Day - what a nice basket of flowers.
Nice boy pattern and colors.

Lori said...

That will be a great quilt for your son.
Love your basket of flowers. It would make a wonderful medallion center.