Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Summertime top finished

I finally finished this large top.  I've been calling it Summertime.  I was happy that my plan to sew the zigzag sashing using partial seams worked well and I didn't have to set in any seams at all.   
 
 I was surprised to find myself including a cream zinger border - I was sure red was going to look better.  The cream frames the quilt yet doesn't detract from the blocks or the very pretty main border fabric. 
 So now it needs to be quilted.  I thought long and hard about sending this one out to be longarm quilted.  I've only once before machine quilted a quilt of this size and it wasn't very fun.  The bulk of the quilt was so hard to manage in the small opening my machine had.  Even long twin sized quilts are hard to manage with that small opening.  There were several other things that I was unhappy about sewing with my regular machine as well.  So, I decided to take the money I'd have paid the long arm quilter and put it towards a new machine. 
 I ordered it online,  sight unseen - based entirely on what other people said about it.  It's an industrial straight stitch machine with a much larger opening - a Juki TL 2010Q.  I've only had a it for a few days now but so far I LOVE it!  I haven't tried quilting with it yet but it's lovely to piece with.  My old machine can go in the closet and get pulled out for mending or sewing clothes.  I hope to try some free motion quilting with it later this week.
 The wild crocuses are blooming now.  I love to go see them on the hills. 
Soft, furry and purple coming out of such dead looking grass - spring is really here :0)

Happy Quilting!!

10 comments:

Barb said...

oooohh! how exciting to have a new machine. My friend loves hers too.
Summertime is a great name for your pretty new quilt.
I didn't know there were wild crocuses - pretty!

Joyful Quilter said...

I have the same same Juki and love it...warning, it is finicky with variegated threads. Mine also has a love hate (most hate) relationship with pre-wound bobbins...okay to piece with but not to FMQ with. I think you will find it is a work-horse.

FYI, LOVE LOVE LOVE your quilt. The cream border is perfect.

Kyle said...

Summertime is fresh with its soft warm colors and fabrics. The light thin border was the perfect choice. The red would have looked too harsh. Congratulations on a new machine. It think you've got lots of quilting fun ahead.

time4stitchn said...

Congratulations on the finishing of your top, Summertime. I do really like the white border for the same reasons you spoke of. That floral print is beautiful with all of your pieced blocks. It really looks wonderful.

Have fun with the new sewing machine.

Dawn said...

Sweet spring flowers!
You will love your machine. I have the Pfaff version. It handles very fine thread so the machine stitching can pass for hand. I don't use it often but it is a nice option.

Every Stitch said...

Congratulations on your new machine purchase - am sure it will make all the difference when you come to quilt this beauty. I well remember wrangling a large quilt under a normal domestic machine - quite a workout! Love the Spring flowering crocuses - so delicate!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

It's funny how we think one thing and then find that another works better. I too LOVE the cream inner border and I probably would have tried red first. Have fun with your new machine. How exciting!

Karen said...

I like the block construction on these as they have a circular look without being a circle. Well done.

Lori said...

I love seeing the first signs of spring!
Congrats on the juki! I look forward to hearing how the machine quilting works out for you. I LOVE that quilt and it screams summertime!

momto1 said...

Oh, my goodness! I need instructions on how to do that sashing with the partial seams! A friend and I have been trying to figure it out. Can you help!

I love your colors!! What a refreshing quilt you've made. I love it!

Carole S.